We would now like to update you on what has been happening in Cuenca both before and after the July 2014 fundraiser. That fundraiser alone has helped over thirty children. Thirty children whose lives have been dramatically improved and in some cases, their lives have been saved.
THE STORY OF DANIEL; OUR MIRACLE BOY!
In November 2013, we received an urgent request to find a specialist for a young boy who had been given just months to live. Daniel was born with a heart defect and had a life expectancy of 5 years. Amazingly he made it to 11, by which time he could only be described as a “blue boy” because he was receiving so little oxygen. His mother was told to get the family together before Christmas as the end was near…..Daniel himself expressed sadness that he felt he would not live to make his first communion the following Spring. Thanks to the coordination of Clinica Latino in Cuenca and Fundacion Metropolitano in Quito and the very speedy and generous online donations we received, Daniel had his heart operation. He now runs, plays soccer and now, thoroughly, enjoys life! He is, by far, our most dramatic case.
* April 4, 2014: Ishmael – 13 years old…..nasal reconstructive surgery. After his surgery it was discovered that not only could he not breathe well, but he had never smelled anything! He is now a handsome, well adjusted young man….and is enjoying “smelling the roses”!
* May 2, 2014: Billie- 8 years old…..She had had a less than successful leg surgery on the coast following an accident. Her mother was told she would never have full use of her leg. After surgery and PT at Clinica Latino, she has no limp and is even taking ballet.
The children listed above were helped by online and private donations from Cuenca and Salinas.
The following children were helped through the generosity of those who attended our first Cuenca fundraiser in July 2014.
* August 2014: Angelica – 12 years old….she has cerebral palsy and scoliosis….curvature of the spine. Through 5 months of intensive physical therapy, she now not only stands upright, she plays soccer! She was saved from painful back surgery, and now her confidence and positive attitude are wonderful to see!
* October 15, 2014: Valentine – 5 years old….Valentine had such severe Strabismus (one eye pointing in a different direction than the other) that he could not read and had severe depth perception problems. Left untreated there was a possibility of blindness. After the surgery he now has normal vision.
* October 28, 2014: Carla – is a young 19 year old mother who had a severe pancreatic infection. The infection was so severe that her family was told she would not likely survive. Thanks to the coordination through HKIE with the public hospital, Hospital del Rio and Clinica Latino, she received her life saving surgery at Clinica Latino and has completely recovered.
* December 2. 2014: Andrea – 12 years old…..had successful surgery to correct her tongue from being attached to the floor of her mouth.
* December 12, 2014: Angel – 12 years old….a handsome young man with a severe growth problem. One would have thought he was about 5 years old from his size and appearance. Through special lab work it was discovered he had very little growth hormones. Thanks to Dr Pablo Salamea and the government of Ecuador he will soon be receiving special weekly injections to correct this problem.
* January 12, 2015: Camilla – 12 years old….surgery to detach her tongue from the roof of her mouth…she now no longer has problems speaking or eating properly.
* January 12, 2015: Dayana – 17 years old….successful removal of precancerous mole.
* January 24, 2015: Jose – 6 years old….Adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy….Also successful surgery.
* January 31, 2015: Pedro – 7 years old….a cerebral palsy patient who received a desperately needed a bath chair.
* February 21, 2015: Amanda – 12 years old….Amanda had surgery for a cleft palate and cleft lip as a baby, but did not have the required follow up. She received surgery to completely repair the hole in her palate. After surgery and speech therapy she now speaks quite clearly.
* February 25, 2105: Jasson – 7 years old…..removal of precancerous mole…successful.
* March 1, 2015: Eric – 6 years….Eric was having severe and constant nosebleeds. He is now fine after his adenoids and tonsils were removed.
* March 10, 2015: Brigitte – 7 years old….Brigitte had a severe infection in her leg when she was 4 years old, which affected her bone. She required surgery to remove part of the bone and muscle. It left her leg so severely shortened she could only crawl or be carried. HKIE purchased crutches for her while other possible medical treatments are being reviewed.
* March 10, 2015: Pablo- 2 years old….Successful surgery to repair hernia.
* March 10, 2015: Brady – 10 years old….had successful surgery to detach his tongue from the roof of his mouth…successful.
* March 19, 2015: Cielo – 6 months old….Had surgery for a severe cleft lip. She now has a beautiful smile.
* March 20, 2015: Sophie- 4 years old….Sophie was having constant tonsillitis. Following her tonsillectomy, she is doing well. Her parents felt it was a miracle that HKIE had her seen on a Monday and that she was in for surgery on that Wednesday!
* March 30, 2015: Esteban – 10 years old….circumcision.
* March 30, 2015: Mateo – 7 years old….circumcision, hernia repair and repair for undescended testicles.
* April 13, 2015: Alberto – 4 years old…..surgery for undescended testicles.
* April 13, 2015: Christopher – 5 years old….Hernia repair.
* April 13, 2015: Alexander – 6 years old…Hernia repair and surgery for undescended testicle.
* April 20, 2015: Amanda – 12 years old…Second surgery for Amanda to repair her scarred lip.
* May 12, 2015: Amanda – 12 years old….Amanda’s eyesight was so poor she was unable to cope in school. Following an exam and some darling pink “miss kitty” glasses, she is blossoming in school and in sports.
* June 12, 2015: Yandri – 9 years old….surgery to repair a severely burned foot. She had skin and tissue resectioned.
* June 12, 2015: Luis – 7 years old….Cleft palate surgery. His parents are thrilled he had his surgery!
* June 13, 2015: Lisette – 13 years old….removal of extra bones from her foot and part of a toe that was preventing her from walking properly.
* June 13, 2015: Sophia – 4 months….removal of extra toe.
* June 17, 2015: Josue – 5 years old….Surgery for adenoids, tonsils and ear drains. He no longer has headaches and earaches. He is currently being treated for digestive ailments.
* July 2, 2015: Amanda, our 12 year old….received corrective dental plate from University of Azuay dental school.
* July 16, 2015: Jose – 5 years old….second corrective surgery to fix a malformed jaw. Jose has trouble opening his mouth, so his diet consists of foods he can suck on to soften and swallow. There will be at least one more surgery in about 6 months, but he is on his way.
To all the supporters of HKIE: on behalf of all the children and families you have helped: THANK YOU!!!